Monday, November 10, 2008

new.

Today was my first day at the Mission. I was introduced to most of the directors (finance, IT, programs, operations) and met with several of them, including my immediate supervisor, Win. Win's an older guy, probably a few years shy of 60, but has the energy of someone half his age. He heads up the Operations department, the area in which I'm going to be working, and I have a feeling that I'm going to love working with him. First of all, he suggested getting to know one another over a cup of coffee at the Boston Beanstock Coffee Company (my kind of guy)! Second, he has this really beautiful way of viewing the Mission's clients (a term used here to refer to the homeless individuals who come through our doors). Win "spoke from his gut," as he kept saying, reminding me of the upside-down nature of the kingdom of God as expressed in Scripture. He talked about how many passages in the Bible speak to the ease with which the poor and humble see God's kingdom. In other words, the poor - whether in possessions or in spirit, as Jesus spoke of in his sermon on the mount recorded in Matthew's gospel - are in a unique position in which to receive God's blessing.

I can't say that I understand much of this yet. I am, however, starting to realize that this year working with the poor will change me. I'm quite sure that I'll see and experience things that I haven't before. I'll be called upon to embrace a greater sense of interdependence among those with whom I'm working (when I'd rather, oftentimes, attempt to go it alone), and I'll be consistently expected to step into roles and relationships that are less-than-comfortable.

Though I can't anticipate what lies before me, I am so happy to be here. For the first time in several years, I think, I truly feel that I am following my heart. When I was heading up the prayer ministry at the BSM during college, I was struck by this passage in Isaiah's book:
The Spirit of the LORD God is upon me, for the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound. ESV
Some of you will know that Luke records Jesus reading these words of the prophet at the commencement of his ministry, implying that he was the fulfillment of Hebrew scripture. In both instances, it touches my heart that God desires such things for his children: healing, freedom, release from the chains that bind - ultimately, wholeness. Is this not the kingdom coming on earth as it does in heaven?

2 comments:

Leisa said...

My heart is full from reading about your first day and hearing your heart! I am praying for you and love you more than my words can express!

Being Beth said...

Wow, what a beautiful post, Sarah. It filled me up to read about your day and first impressions. I really loved the way you are already seeing yourselfand God in a fresh new way. this year is going to be life-changing and life-shaping. You have such a beautiful soul.

I'm praying for you every day.