Friday, March 27, 2009

transforming.

Last night, a team of 45 construction workers descended upon the Mission, hammers and paintbrushes in hand, to do a little transformation. Being quite the fan of observing things and people transform, I was excited to see what might be accomplished.

Soon after all of the men had arrived, their foreman motioned for them to circle up. For the next fifteen minutes or so, clients from our house stood before the group and shared their stories. One guy talked about his learning to take small steps toward recovery, recounting his trail of bad decisions and expressing a humble gratitude for the positive steps now being taken. Another of our male clients spoke of a heroin addiction that had taken everything that he cherished most, leaving him broken - but how trusting in Jesus had set him on the path to freedom. Two of our ladies testified, as well, to the good taking place within the walls of the Mission - and in their individual lives - during their time of residence. Each person, when finished, received the kind of resounding cheer that can only emanate from a group of loud, excited, slightly rough-around-the-edges construction workers. Hanging back and snapping some photos, I watched quietly as one of God's everyday miracles took place: men and women were vulnerable, and they were accepted.

One of the construction crew later said that he saw himself in the clients' stories, though he'd never been addicted to any substance or lived on the streets. I share in this man's sentiment, having felt many times over the past few months that, all things considered, I'm just not all that different from the clients that we serve. No, I'm not an alcoholic or an addict - but I struggle, I fall, I doubt, and I'm fearful far more than I'd hope to be. Just like many of our clients, I rely on God's grace to uphold me.

to be continued (with pictures!)...

1 comment:

Leisa said...

Love reading all about your experience and am so excited for you as you get to experience God at work. I love you!