Sunday, January 10, 2010

a day of promise.

I'm not sure what it was, exactly, that set today apart - as days go, this one was unremarkable, filled with such activities as napping, chatting, lunching. Still, I couldn't help but notice a quiet stirring in my heart, whispers of newness and hope and - could it be? - faith welling up, a promise of the grace of God.

Trusting Jesus, at least since college, has been littered for me with periods of doubt and unbelief. Though I say with the apostle Peter, 'Lord, to whom shall I go? You have the words of eternal life, and I have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God,' I find that I'm more apt to fear and fret than to have faith and believe. My heart, I've found, is easily distracted - and my will, following suit, lacks resolve.

I'm reminded, today, of my dependence on the Father's grace. It boggles my mind when I consider that even my faith itself is a gift, given that I might glorify and enjoy and know the Author of all life. I'd be lost, like a sheep without a shepherd, if not for his grace.

1 comment:

Becky Rabb said...

we've all been there, friend. just keep on keepin' on... and keep your head high :)