Sunday, January 24, 2010

hidden treasures.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field." Matthew 13

I think that, sometimes, the most unexpectedly good gifts aren't readily visible. As in Jesus' parable, goodness often hides beneath layers of dirt, undiscovered but for a man or woman's stumbling upon it and recognizing it as possessing value. I'll be honest: usually, I'm too lazy to be bothered with the digging.

My prayer, these days, is for grace: to dig deeper when God's goodness isn't immediately apparent, and to have eyes that recognize beauty and glory in unexpected places.

giving thanks for his treasures.
0081. tulips that look like s p r i n g. <3

0082. deep conversation on the T

0083. being witness to great talent (in my own friends, no less!)

0084. singing and sharing communion with fellow believers

0085. spicy Mexican food

0086. less spicy (but just as tasty!) tapas

0087. cruising down the highway

0088. hot apple spice tea, brewed double-strength

0089. tealights in a row

0090. Christmas cards, still taped up in late January

0091. shearling moccasins

0092. red brick sidewalk + stilettos

0093. the Psalms, and Job's story

0094. goosebumps

0095. good memories of people, places, and experiences

0096. clean dishes

0097. running into people who I know around the city

0098. a blue bowl with tart green apples

0099. a high in the 50s tomorrow!

0100. the opportunity to work with each of my clients (and getting to #100 on this list!)

2 comments:

Leisa said...

Love your post today! You have moved me and encouraged me to be thankful for the little things :O) ! I love you!

Katie said...

Have you read "Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouwen?

In one of his chapters he talks about this very thing. He calls this little things - "seemingly insignificant" encounters yet they are VERY significant!