Saturday, November 28, 2009

whistling wind.

When I began blogging again a few weeks ago, I said that I wanted to write about "the silly things, and the aha! moments, and the things that bring happiness to my heart" in addition to the deep and difficult aspects of this road that I'm traveling. My writing tends to be passionate, emotional, and intense - and, though I enjoy expressing myself in this way, I'd like to learn to write well in a way that is lighter and simpler.

With this goal in mind, I'll periodically use writing prompts as I blog. I'm hoping that this will bring a freshness and new opportunities for creativity to my writing, and I welcome your thoughts/critiques! To begin...

"I love the sound of..."

I love the sound of wind whistling through the trees, carrying birds' choruses and autumn's fallen colors. I love the brook's gurgling, bubbling song, silt swirling downstream in its earth-sustaining dance.

I love the violin's reedy melodies, the piano's percussive chords, and the long, low notes of the cello. I love funky, folksy, soulful voices.

I love the sound of baby laughter, all joyful and new and uninhibited. I love Mom's gentle drawl, Ben's questions, Becca's words of compassion, Dad's steady "amen." I love silence between close friends, telling of comfort and rest and home.

I love the sounds of living: the giving of thanks, the extending of forgiveness, the joy of hopes fulfilled. I love God's voice here, heard through a million persons and within a million places and in Jesus.


A friend shared this with me yesterday, and it just seems appropriate:
Let me tell you why you're here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand - shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. Matthew 5:13-16, The Message

No comments: