Monday, November 9, 2009

trusting.

Today wasn't a great day. I'll spare you the details - suffice to say that life feels a bit confusing, and I'm convinced that the 'real world' is a quite unfriendly place.

I'm thinking that this new intentionality of giving thanks will be especially beneficial as I navigate through [what feel like] increasingly choppy waters. The reality of my situation is this: As of November 23, I will be unemployed. Eeeek! It's a scary thought. There's another reality, though: my Father knows what I need! The biblical author Matthew quotes Jesus: "[...] do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

My natural state seems to be one of asking questions that are, in essence, like those above. I don't easily trust that God is good - and have even greater difficulty in believing that God is good to me and will continue to be good to me. My experience, however, proves otherwise: despite my best efforts to keep him at arm's length, he has flooded my life with his good gifts - none of which I could earn and certainly don't deserve. How worthy he is of our praise!

and the endless stream of gifts continues...
0011. birthday parties

0012. a beautiful, sunny, unseasonably warm day

0013. friendships that are easy

0014. friendships that are difficult, because they remind me that I am needy

0015. the twinkling eyes of a friend

0016. the "vera cruz vanilla" candle that's flickering (and smelling yummy!) as I write

0017. sweet baby smiles

0018. the newest addition to my wardrobe: the prettiest sweater in my favorite shade of green

0019. peace that is beyond my understanding but is truly felt and known

0020. getting to talk to THREE members of my family in the same day! <3

ohhhh, life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you've told me this before, but which organization are you working with? Was it Americorps?

I love hearing about what you're learning and growing into. You're awesome!