Saturday, November 7, 2009

one thousand gifts

I've been inspired by two other women (who blog here and here) to begin a "thousand gifts list." The goal seems simple enough: to list, over the course of a few months, a thousand things for which I'm grateful. Still, the idea's a daunting one - though I certainly have much to give thanks for, it's rare that I stop to consider such things (and whisper a 'thanks' to the Giver).

Of her experience keeping a gratitude list, Ann Voskamp writes: "I am seeing things I have never seen before, atuned and aware of this constant, endless stream of gifts from His hand. I am one waking from slumber....from the stupor of indifference and ignorance. I have sight, fresh and keen---the world is new and full of His gifts."

How much we - I - need to wake up! So, then, my gratitude-experiment begins...

The Thousand Gifts

0001. tasty shelled pecans from Texas

0002. Dad's sweet words of encouragement

0003. college students eager to serve food to homeless folks early on a Saturday

0004. The Wailin' Jennys Heaven When We're Home and other songs with lyrics that speak of beauty and truth

0005. finally - finally! - belonging to a church that I love

0006. conversations at the Mission with JR, CA, & MF

0007. the perfect sandwich: ham, swiss, roasted red peppers, lettuce, tomato, and oil/vinegar on a baguette, prepared by my favorite French-speaking Armenian barista :)

0008. eating tex-mex in Boston

0009. his forgiveness

0010. traipsing around Harvard Square with one of my favorite people

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a beautiful lesson in gratitude. I'm totally thinking about doing this now!