Friday, November 6, 2009

a toast.

It's been six months, almost to the day, since I last blogged - and, honestly, I'm a little surprised to be back.

In seasons past, I've felt a sense of relief and something that vaguely resembles contentment in expressing myself through the written word - but, somewhat suddenly, I found myself at a loss. I'd sit down to blog, stare at the screen for a few minutes, then, sighing, log off. It's not as if I had nothing to say: I certainly had funny stories that I might tell or requests for prayer that I might make or questions that I might ask. Still, for some unknown reason, the words that had always come so easily just ... stopped.

I've been grateful for the silence. It's funny (and ironic, like so much in life): after I shut up, I realized just how much I like to hear myself talk. From this realization quickly followed another: if I'm talking all the time, how will I ever hear what anyone else has to say? The answer was clear - not easily. So, as much as I was able, I kept my mouth shut and started to listen.

By the grace of God, I'm - however imperfectly - still listening. And, surprisingly, that dormant desire to write, and to share life through writing, seems to be undergoing a revival of sorts (!!!).

I want to write about the difficult things, and the deep things - but I also want to write about the silly things, and the aha! moments, and the things that bring happiness to my heart.

To new beginnings!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Welcome back! I love to hear you write and talk! Speaking of...we need to set up a phone date again...SOON!