Sunday, November 22, 2009

in limbo.

Main Entry: lim·bo
Pronunciation: \ˈlim-(ˌ)bō\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural limbos
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin, abl. of limbus limbo, from Latin, border
Date: 14th century

1 often capitalized : an abode of souls that are according to Roman Catholic theology barred from heaven because of not having received Christian baptism
2 a : a place or state of restraint or confinement b : a place or state of neglect or oblivion c : an intermediate or transitional place or state d : a state of uncertainty

[definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary]

I've never been happier to be in a place of uncertainty.

Don't get me wrong: I'm still the same inquisitive gal who would, if I'm honest, prefer to have all of the answers. In this particular time of transition, however, I feel a sense of freedom and expectancy that is normally quite absent from my thoughts pertaining to the future.

There's this verse in the last chapter of Proverbs that I really like. An anonymous author writes of a woman who he considers to be excellent, delineating various characteristics of personality and behavior that set her apart and elicit praise. One line, however, has always stuck out to me:

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

Oh, to be like this woman!! By nature, I'm more apt to fear than to trust when facing the unknown - and, at least practically, I've lived by the adage "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" for the entirety of my adult life. It's my hope, as I continue to walk with Jesus, that I'll increasingly know a deep-seated confidence in the Father's desire and ability to provide for my needs. From such a place, I can't imagine a better response than freeing, joyful, grateful laughter.

and, so, I offer thanks.
0036. breakfasts-on-the-run

0037. bearing witness to acts of courage

0038. pretty pink nails

0039. opportunities to love

0040. bright red walls

0041. celebrating the good things in life

0042. a Thanksgiving feast

0043. Scrabble tile earrings

0044. living & learning in community

0045. a particularly challenging book

0046. hugs

0047. a clean slate

0048. pink clouds at dusk

0049. apple spice cake

0050. tears that bring healing

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work at Java Jacks! But only for about another 2 weeks!

I've looked at Americorps before, but found their website very confusing. I'll let you know if I have any questions! Thanks for offering!